So here I am turning 40 in two days. It doesn’t feel right because I just don’t picture myself as 40. In my mind I see myself somewhere in my late 20’s or 30’s. Maybe it’s because I don’t know what 40 feels like yet.
Honestly my 30’s were a mix of good and bad. I got married and divorced in my 30’s. I bought and sold a house in my 30’s. I found out I can’t have kids in my 30’s and realized that I can never ever live without a dog in my life. I worked at 5 companies. I became an aunt – twice. I witnessed the passing of all 4 of my grandparents and several other loved ones. I started dating again after being married for 10 years. It was awkward, and funny, and so far is turning out great. I have been dating a guy for 6 months and am happy, really quite happy. I experienced a lot, lived a lot and learned a lot.
These are the top things I have learned in the past 40 years:
- I never knew the power of a dog in my life until I got one; now I cannot imagine a life without one – ever.
- I have come to realize that following my passion might be fun but it isn’t going to pay the bills. I am a realist.
- My family is the best thing that has ever happened to me I will go down fighting for them in any circumstance.
- Italian food wins, hands down, every time
- The grass is not always greener but sometimes you have to visit it, and roll around in it for awhile to realize it.
- Money does not solve all problems, but it can makes the ones you have easier.
- I rent my apartment and I love it. I love it much more than the house I owned for 2.5 years.
- I would rather have you hold my heart than hold my hand. I can take care of myself if I need to but I prefer to do it while you are loving me.
- I don’t have room for unnecessary drama in my life any longer. With age comes wisdom about just how unnecessary drama is nothing more than draining.
- I am an open person. I wear my heart on my sleeve and I will share a lot with you. If you betray my trust I will never share with you again.
- I am crier. I cry when I am sad, nostalgic, angry, frustrated, and even sometimes when I am happy. Just pass the tissues I will be fine.
- I don’t judge you, but if you judge me I WILL judge you right back. Sorry I am just not that big of a person.
- Sometimes I eat cereal for dinner and grilled cheese sandwiches for breakfast. I haven’t died yet.
- Cotton over silk, denim over linen, and fleece over cashmere all the time (well ok not fleece over cashmere ALL the time)
- A good pair of black boots, a sweet pair of jeans and a black sweater can work every time.
- Bon Jovi forever.
- A quiet night in can be just as thrilling as a wild night out.
- Food should be eaten to enjoy not just to sustain.
- Sometimes being right is not as important as admitting when you are wrong.
- I will probably never keep a blog for more than one year before I change URLs – so follow me if you want.
- I love watching football in the fall – yes, a girl who enjoys a Sunday of wings, football, and being lazy in front of the games.
- Halloween is probably my least favorite holiday followed by St. Patrick’s Day.
- Thankgiving and Christmas are my favorites.
- Kissing someone new and amazing in the rain is one of the best feelings ever.
- I keep saying I want to go skydiving and I do; but I keep chickening out.
- I am completely and utterly open to any possibilities that come my way in the coming year
I’d like to come up with 14 more to make an even 40 – keep coming back I’ll come up with them eventually.